10 Procurement Value Creation Ideas, Part I
How Can Procurement Create Value Beyond Cost Savings?
Here are the first of 10 procurement value creation ideas we’ll be sharing in this two-part series:
- Speed Up “Time To Customer.” Identify products or services that your organization provides to its customers where time to delivery/completion is important to the customers. Identify purchased products and services that are part of, or support, what is provided to the customer. Then, identify ways to speed up your supply base’s delivery of those purchased products and services so that your organization can serve its customers more quickly.
- Improve Quality To The Customer. Identify products or services that your organization provides to its customers that do not consistently meet customer quality requirements. Identify purchased products and services that are part of, or support, what is provided to the customer. Then, identify ways to work with your supply base to improve the quality of those purchased products and services in a way that will improve quality as measured by the customer.
- Improve Efficiency Within The Organization. Identify the resources and time involved in each of your major procurement processes. Identify ways to reduce the number of steps, participants, and time required to complete those procurement processes without sacrificing quality or integrity. Also identify processes whose timelines are influenced by supplier performance. Identify how these processes can be made more efficient through better supplier performance or reengineered approaches to interacting with suppliers.
- Funnel Innovative Ideas Into The Organization. Employees in your supply base observe the best practices in your industry and may have innovative ideas to share. Solicit, vet, and introduce their innovative ideas to your organization.
- Minimize Risk. Identify the most critical products and services your organization purchases. Identify all of the reasons your supply of those products and services can be disrupted. Then, identify the actions you can take to prevent supply disruptions and recover from supply disruptions if they still end up happening.
Do You Want a More Rewarding Procurement Career?
A lot of your peers are on track with pursuing professional success. They’ve begun to enjoy the value of NLPA Learning, our learning platform for procurement professionals from around the globe. NLPA Learning includes many types of materials that will help purchasing and procurement professionals stay up-to-date with information on trends and procurement best practices.
Download our NLPA Course Catalog for a comprehensive list of the CPO Certification Programs and their corresponding modules per level.
Want More Detailed Help With Creating Procurement Value?
Procurement has an incredible capability for creating value and can do so in many ways. Unfortunately, many senior executives – and, admittedly, even some procurement professionals – do not understand all of the ways that procurement can create value.
Don’t let this be a problem for you. Download our new “Procurement Value Creation Workbook.” You’ll gain a thorough understanding of 10 ways that procurement can create value and be challenged to formulate your own ideas on how you can create procurement value for your organization.
Want to get more procurement articles by email?
Members of the NLPA get great articles just like this by email every month. As a member, you will also get access to:
- The Procurement Training & Certification Starter Kit
- The latest Purchasing & Supply Management Salaries Report
- Leading-Edge Supply Management™ magazine
- Live webinars
- Access of Purchasing Community
- Access of NLPA BLogs
- Access of Library (Webinar Replays, Procurement Templates & More)
- Access to All 20 Express Courses worth $380.00
- And more!